HOT REPORT – INTERVIEW THE KEY WORKER IN STRATHMORE CENTRE
Strathmore centre provides service for children with physical and learning disabilities. The social worker and key worker in Strathmore centre build a relationship with parents, school, GP, hospital and CHAS, they try to find out and understand as much as possible about the child. Because children’s situation and information change every day, they need to keep updating children’s data in times, repeating the assessment many times and putting up all the data about the child together before they design a care plan for each child.
During this interview i got some important informations below:
- Key worker in Strathmore centre is a crucial person who understand the needs of child and family. They also build a good relationship with parents, school, GP, hospital and CHAS.
- Good form of communication is very important. Because the workers in Stramore centre are talking face to face, meeting the families, standing to build up the relationship, meeting the young person and meeting them at home, school, attend GP appointment in the hospital appointment. So key worker’s job is to show the lens of communication. It opens to many people and also involves to some person’s life.
- So how these communication happen?
1) It is telephone call – any piece of work
3) Some people like to send report
4) Meeting (normally 6 month a time)
5) Online social work system ( OGJRS SIN) : Only social work in Angus can access; Put the data online; Secure date base ; Every thing Strathmore centre do for the child
- A online communication platform which every relative people can access is essential. Because a online system which using to collect children’s information now just can access by the worker in Angus. Moreover, the child’s situation keep changing and the key worker in Strathmore centre spend plenty of time to update child’s information and collect all the paper and data of the child together. So they need to spend mouths to repeat and update the data of the child.
– The ideal communication platform is easy-to-use, user-friendly and time saving.
Survey Aim: Understanding user’s need
The first level / the fist connection: Referral and initial integrated assessment
Referral can come from GP, Home, Hospital, School. Then referral comes to social work intake team. For the intake team, they would look at the the referral and see what referral should like in social department. Is it the child with disability or learning or physical disability?
Then this form would send to the Strathmore Centre – the only team in Angus for physical or leaning disability. They will look at this form, to decide the best they forward. But before to do that, Strathmore Centre need to get a lot of information about the child. Then Strathmore Centre need to connect with school, parents, GP, hospital and anywhere else the child attend. That is call initial integrated assessment.
The social worker would be allocated by the manager to structure more. The manager allocated the social worker to touch with school, parents, GP, hospital etc. It is the initial integrated assessment.
The social worker would first visit parents , then school, GP, hospital, getting informations about the child as much as possible because of the integrated assessment. Everybody must play a part and to be partners to give information to this form. These informations complete and put together by social worker that be allocated for the child.
Why community coming with the Strathmore Centre?
Social worker and manager would decide what is the best they forward? What it would be come for respite Strathmore Centre with that integration into community, which would be social club, which may be outreach community, which would be supporting young person in community with independently living skill, may be all need to the integrated assessment, depending on some living skills or they need to learn how to take bus by themselves, so that is why community is coming.
What are young persons need is respite.
What are young persons need is respite. They come to Strathmore Centre for respite. If they come straight to ask Strathmore Centre for respite which be decide to be integrated assessment. The worker in Strathmore Centre will then be allocated as a residential worker or social care worker. Then they will become the key work for the child. These should be take over now form the social worker. The key worker take over basic every day running case holding of the chid. They put up all the paper work to do care plan, admission form and risk assessments. All these form put together before young person can set foot. This process would be long, perhaps up to Month to put all the information together. Because the social worker need to speak to GP, parents, school, hospital. The information of the child keep changing, the key worker need to repeat the assessment again, therefore, key worker to be back up to help the relative people like GP, parents, school and hospital to get more information, update the information to all the relative people to complete and analyse the care plan. However, the care plan and admission form complete all information with all these relative people together. The needs probably from the first point of contact which would be a lot than in the initial integrated assessment can change so quickly. This gets time to the residential worker. That is why the key worker need to go back to repeat.
Good form communication is essential.
That is also about communication – Good form communication. Because the worker sin Stramore centre are talking face to face, meeting the families, standing to build up the relationship, meeting the young person and meeting them at home, school, attend GP appointment in the hospital appointment. So key worker’s job is to show the lens of communication. It opens to many people and also involves to some person’s life.
After meeting the young person and relative people, the key worker in Stramore centre can understand what is the need of the child and their family, so the care plan would focus on clearly understanding any member’s and stuff’s stander basing on the child’s need, structure more that every child can has their own file and care plan and anybody can access, because all the information are there.
All the information about the child are on the care plan, and the file is accessible when the child comes in. The children come to the Strathmore centre, they would come straight for the respite, they would come for day care. It is very hard for child with special needs or any forms of difficulty to come and stay. Straight way is too scare for them. Because they haven’t build up the relationship and it needs a long process. So come from the day care, perhaps 2 hours during a day, just to see the centre, meet all the staff and the stuff can be a bridge to build the relationships with the young people. They are the mash of the young people.
Normally, day care would be 1 or 2 week for 2 hours, and this would repeat probably 6 weeks, it would build up to every 1 or 2 weeks for 4 hours. It is very very slow procedure they need to fellow. But if a child gets use to the environment quickly and he/she meets friends easily, the with can put his/her process on quick. It goes back to the care plan again and focuses on what their needs are, what they are here for.
So if they can manage the day care about 6 Months, the with would repeat to speak to all the relative people(School, home, hospital etc) again and keep to contact them constantly. They would update anything changes of young person as well. They constantly contact with home every time the young person come in SC and get a report home.
So how these communication happen?
– It is telephone call – any piece of work
- some people like to send report
- meeting (normally 6 month a time)
– online social work system ( OGJRS SIN) : Only social work in Angus can access; Put the data online; Secure date base ; Every thing SC do for the child
Usually takes 6 months to get to this change. All during time the family and child come to respite begin with stay 1 overnight every 6 weeks. This can build up to suit child’s needs and abilities.
Then comes to review- look after children review. During the review, everyone possible to attend who is involved in child’s life plus the child themselves if possible. In the review process, the key worker need to find and manage whether the care plan is open well and build up good relationships. We have to focus care plan to see for the reason. We start to meet the reason and end goal, but we need to more about with relative people. Let us see the child mighQt need 2 overnight every 4 weeks. That depends on the outcome of the review and information from everybody.
What assessment for?
– For the initial assessment, it comes into the intake team. The others people sit and design what team in social work will hold it. So it comes to ask for if it is for respite or for outreach work in community or for others? This will all base on the child’s need and then go to the next step.
– Outreach work means work in the community, it is out with the SC but in the community. Usually to support the young person to access their own community. And it just can be accessed for the peculiar group. This is about the whole family with the child to access something, maybe just need to learn something independently, such as learning living skills with the community. So the worker which be allocated by the manager in SC will go out to support the young person in the community. The worker is the same worker of the residential worker. Social worker is not do this.